Deer hunting offered at Poinsett Electronic Combat Range|
Posted 9/9/2011 Updated 9/9/2011
by Ronnie June
20th Civil Engineer Squadron
9/9/2011 - SHAW AIR FORCE BASE, S.C. -- Deer hunting season is starting soon and the natural resource managers at Shaw Air Force Base and the Poinsett Electronic Combat Range are offering a program open to all base personnel and the public.
The hunting program will help maintain wildlife population at proper levels and provide outdoor recreation activities for the Shaw community.
Beginning Sept. 24, deer hunting will be open on the PECR south of Wedgefield, S.C.
To be eligible and to participate, all hunters must comply with or possess:
· A valid South Carolina hunting license including a big game permit.
· Persons under 16 years of age may hunt with an adult with no additional charge while accompanied by a permitted adult and only one rifle is used.
· The legal weapon for this season is a rifle only of no less than .243 caliber.
· The permit fee for each hunt is $15 per person made payable by check or money order to "DDO DSSN 3801 Shaw AFB SC" and may be paid the day of the hunt.
· All participants are required to wear a blaze orange hat or vest while hunting.
· Not be under the influence of drugs/alcohol, or use drugs/alcohol during this event. Zero tolerance for violators.
· Sign a waiver of liability before participating on the hunt.
· Prepared for weather conditions, bring own snacks, thermoses, drinks, and not litter.
· Hunt at own risk.
· Hunters must remain at their assigned stands until truck returns to pick them up. All instructions, directions, and rules must be adhered to insure the safe return of all participates.
The hunt schedule will be:
Oct. 1, 8, 15, 22, 29
Nov. 12, 19, 26
Dec. 3, 10, 17
The dates and times may change without notice depending on mission needs.
Those interested in the program can make reservation by calling 803-494-3239 on the Tuesday morning prior to the Saturday hunt and are based on a first come, first serve basis depending on the number of openings for the day.
Overflow callers will be placed on a stand-by list in case of cancellations. Those who need to cancel must call by close of business on the Thursday prior to the hunt or the permit fee is due. A hunter who does not show up or cancel still owes the fee and will be required to pre-pay prior to any other hunt.
A youth-only hunt will be conducted on Nov. 5, 2010 in cooperation with South Carolina Department of Natural Resources. For application information concerning the youth hunting day, please contact SCDNR, Region 3, at 803-734-3898 in September or download the application from SCDNR website. You will be contacted to verify your application and notified of your selection status.
Permitted hunters must meet at the Rosemary Fire Tower complex on the day of the hunt, before the gate lock time specified when the reservation was taken. The meeting time for each hunt will change during the season based on sunrise and sunset times.
The Rosemary Fire Tower complex is located just south of the entrance to Poinsett State Park on South Carolina Highway 261. Hunters will receive a safety briefing, draw for a deer stand and be transported to and from their stands.
For more information call Ronnie June at 803-895-9985 or the Rosemary office at 803-494-3239 or email email@example.com; at the natural and cultural resources office.