Maj. Gen. Clark J. Quinn serves as the Assistant Deputy Commander, Ninth Air Force (Air Forces Central), Shaw Air Force Base, South Carolina. In this position, he assists with the development of contingency plans and the execution of air operations for the 20-nation U.S. Central Command area of responsibility covering Central and Southwest Asia.
Maj. Gen. Quinn received his commission in 1993 from Officer Training School. He is a command pilot and has flown in support of operations Southern Watch, Noble Eagle, Unified Protector and Enduring Freedom. He commanded at the wing and squadron levels and has held staff positions at combatant commands and at Headquarters Air Force. He also served as the United States Forces-Afghanistan Assistant Deputy Commander for the Air and the Vice Commander, Ninth Air and Space Expeditionary Task Force, Afghanistan, Resolute Support Headquarters, Kabul, Afghanistan.
Prior to his current position, Maj. Gen. Quinn was the Vice Director, Strategy, Plans and Policy on the U.S. Central Command staff, MacDill AFB, Florida, where he assisted the Director in developing sensitive operational plans, conducting a wide range of engagements and crafting policy and strategy to support the Commander’s priorities across the CENTCOM area of responsibility.
1991 Bachelor of Science, Aerospace Engineering, University of Florida, Gainesville
2001 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2006 Master of Business Administration, Touro University International, Cypress, Calif.
2006 Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, Kan.
2012 Master of Strategic Studies, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. April 1993–February 1995, Space Test Engineer, Detachment 2 Space and Missile Systems Center, Onizuka Air Station, Calif.
2. February 1995–September 1995, Student, Specialized Undergraduate Navigator Training, Randolph Air Force Base, Texas
3. September 1995–August 1996, Student, Specialized Undergraduate Navigator Training, Naval Air Station Pensacola, Fla.
4. August 1996–June 1998, Student, F-15E Formal Training Unit, 333rd Fighter Squadron and Weapons Systems Officer, 336th FS, Seymour-Johnson AFB, N.C.
5. June 1998–September 1999, Student, Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training, Laughlin AFB, Texas
6. October 1999–July 2000, Student, F-16 Formal Training Unit, 61st FS, Luke AFB, Ariz.
7. July 2000–July 2002, Assistant Chief of Weapons and Flight Commander, 78th FS, Shaw AFB, S.C.
8. August 2002–August 2003, Instructor Pilot, Flight Commander, 80th FS, Kunsan Air Base, South Korea
9. August 2003–January 2006, Instructor Pilot, Assistant Director of Operations, 310th FS; Evaluator Pilot, Assistant Chief of Standardization and Evaluation, 56th Operations Group, Luke AFB, Ariz.
10. January 2006–December 2006, Student, Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, Kan.
11. December 2006–December 2007, F-22 Program Element Monitor and Chief, Electronic Warfare Branch, Directorate of Global Power Programs, Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Acquisition, Arlington, Va.
12. December 2007–December 2008, Chief, U.S. Central Command Deputy Combined Forces Air Component Commander’s Action Group, Southwest Asia
13. January 2009–July 2011, Instructor Pilot, Assistant Director of Operations, 77th FS; Commander, 20th Operations Support Squadron; 20th Fighter Wing Inspector General, Shaw AFB, S.C.
14. July 2011–May 2012, Student, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
15. June 2012–June 2013, Chief, Combat Plans Division, 609th Air and Space Operations Center, Southwest Asia
16. June 2013–April 2014, Vice Commander, 20th FW, Shaw AFB, S.C.
17. June 2014–June 2016, Commander, 71st Flying Training Wing, Vance AFB, Okla.
18. June 2016–June 2017, Executive Officer to the Deputy Commander, U.S. European Command, U.S. Army Garrison Stuttgart, Germany
19. June 2017–August 2018, Chief, Strategic Planning Integration Division, Deputy Chief of Staff for Strategic Plans and Requirements, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Arlington, Va.
20. August 2018–April 2019, U.S. Forces Afghanistan Assistant Deputy Commander for Air and Vice Commander, 9th Air and Space Expeditionary Task Force Afghanistan, Resolute Support Headquarters, Kabul, Afghanistan
21. May 2019–June 2021, Vice Director J5, Strategy, Plans and Policy, U.S. Central Command, MacDill AFB, Fla.
22. June 2021–present, Assistant Deputy Commander, Ninth Air Force (Air Forces Central), Shaw AFB, S.C.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. December 2007–December 2008, Chief, Deputy Combined Forces Air Component Commander’s Action Group, Southwest Asia, as a lieutenant colonel
2. June 2012–June 2013, Chief, Combat Plans Division, 609th Air and Space Operations Center, Southwest Asia, as a lieutenant colonel
3. June 2016–June 2017, Executive Officer to the Deputy Commander U.S. European Command, Stuttgart, Germany, as a colonel
4. August 2018–April 2019, U.S. Forces Afghanistan Assistant Deputy Commander for Air, Resolute Support Headquarters, Kabul, Afghanistan, as a brigadier general
5. May 2019–June 2021, Vice Director J5, Strategy, Plans and Policy, U.S. Central Command, MacDill AFB, Fla.
Rating: command pilot
Flight hours: 3,000
Aircraft flown: T-38, F-16 and F-15E
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Bronze Star Medal with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with five oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal
Air Force Combat Action Medal
(Current as of July 2021)