Col. Kristoffer R. Smith is the Commander of the 20th Fighter Wing, Shaw Air Force Base, SC. He is responsible for the mission readiness of the wing’s 79 aircraft, 18 squadrons, stewardship of Shaw, and the health and welfare of 8,000 active duty Airmen and civilians. Furthermore, Col Smith supervises the support of the 31,000 local military retirees and 29 geographically separated units across nine states.
Col. Smith received his commission as a distinguished graduate from the United States Air Force Academy in June 1999. He has commanded at the squadron and operations group level, as well is a graduate of the National Intelligence University, Eisenhower School, and a distinguished graduate of the USAF Weapons School. He is a Command Pilot with more than 1,900 hours in the F-16 “Viper” and deployed in support of Operations NORTHERN WATCH, NOBLE EAGLE, IRAQI FREEDOM, and ODYSSEY DAWN.
1999 Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, CO
2004 USAF Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, AL
2007 USAF Weapons Instructor Course, Nellis AFB, NV
2010 Masters of Aeronautical Science, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University Worldwide
2013 Masters of Science in Strategic Intelligence, National Intelligence University, Washington D.C.
2018 Masters of National Resource Strategy, National Defense University, Eisenhower School, Washington D.C.
1. January 2000 – June 2001, Student Pilot, Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training, Columbus AFB, MS
2. June 2001 – January 2002, Student, F-16 Basic Qualification Course, 62nd FS, Luke AFB, AZ
3. February 2002 – December 2004, F-16 Instructor and ECP, 55th and 79th FS, Shaw AFB, SC
4. December 2004 – December 2005, F-16 Instructor, Flight Commander, 80th FS, Kunsan AB, ROK
5. January 2005 – December 2005, Project Officer, 86th FWS, Eglin AFB, FL
6. January 2007 – June 2007, Student, USAF Weapons Instructor Course, Nellis AFB, NV
7. June 2007 – November 2008, Chief of Weapons and Tactics, 86th FWS, Eglin AFB, FL
8. December 2008 – July 2012, Assistant Director of Operations, 16th WPS, Nellis AFB, NV
9. August 2012 – July 2013, Student, National Intelligence University, Washington D.C.
10. August 2013 – Mar 2015, Director of Operations, 86th FWS, Eglin AFB, FL
11. July 2015 – July 2017, Commander, 16 WPS, Nellis AFB, NV
12. August 2017 – June 2018, Student, National Defense University, Eisenhower School, Washington D.C.
13. June 2018 – June 2020, DJFAC Director, J3, US Indo-Pacific Command, Camp Smith, HI
14. June 2020 – May 2022, Commander, 52d Operations Group, Spangdahlem AB, Germany
15. May 2022 – Present, Commander, 20th Fighter Wing, Shaw AFB, SC
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight hours: More than 1,900 hours
Combat hours: 72
Aircraft flown: T-37, T-38, AT-38, F-16
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 2, 1999
First Lieutenant June 2, 2001
Captain June 2, 2003
Major November 1, 2008
Lieutenant Colonel November 1, 2013
Colonel December 1, 2019
(Current as of May 2022)