Col. Lawrence T. Sullivan is the Commander of the 20th Fighter Wing, Shaw Air Force Base, SC. He is responsible for the mission readiness of the wing’s 79 aircraft, 17 wing staff agencies, stewardship of Shaw, and the health and welfare of 6,576 active duty Airmen and civilians and more than 8,000 family members. Further, he supervises the support of the 31,000 local military retirees and 29 geographically separated units across nine states.
Colonel Sullivan graduated from the United States Air Force Academy in 1999. He has served as an F-16 Weapons Officer, Director of Operations, Squadron Commander and Vice Wing Commander during flying assignments at Osan AB, Korea, Eielson AFB, AK, Misawa AB, Japan, Nellis AFB, NV, and Kunsan AB, Korea. He was selected as the top F-16 Weapons School Graduate for 2006, was named outstanding F-16 Weapons School Instructor, and conducted a strike mission to Afghanistan that received the Mackay Trophy.
While at Nellis AFB he was the Weapons School’s primary Mission Commander and Integration instructor across 17 Squadrons and 30+ weapons systems, and also the SEAD flight commander for the F-16 division. He attended the Naval War College followed by the School of Advanced Air and Space Studies.
In 2016 he was a Service Chief Fellow at DARPA, and in 2017 graduated from the Eisenhower School at National Defense University. While on the Joint Staff he served as Chief of the Special Projects and Innovation Division, J39, Pentagon. He was responsible for sensitive compartmented planning, inter-agency coordination, and project Datahub, an initiative to deliver improved strategic intelligence using remote sensing, data analytics, machine learning and artificial intelligence.
Colonel Sullivan is a command pilot with 2,000+ flying hours, including 200+ combat hours, primarily in the F-16CJ.
1999 Bachelor of Science, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
2004 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2004 Forward Air Controller Airborne Course, Luke AFB, Az.
2006 Weapons Instructor Course, USAF Weapons School, Nellis AFB, Nev.
2008 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2008 Master Science in International Relations, Troy University, Troy, Ala.
2012 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2012 Master of Science in National Security and Strategic Studies, Naval War College, Newport, R.I.
2013 Master of Philosophy in Military Strategy, School of Advanced Air and Space Studies, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2017 Master of Science in Natural Resource Strategy, Eisenhower School, National Defense University
2020 Doctor of Philosophy in Military Strategy, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. October 1999 - October 2000 Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Columbus Air Force Base, Miss.
2. October 2000 - March 2001 Student Pilot, Introduction to Fighter Fundamentals, Randolph AFB, Texas
3. April 2001 - October 2001, F-16 Student Pilot, 149th Fighter Squadron, Kelly AFB, Texas
4. December 2001 - December 2002, F-16 Pilot, 36th FS, Osan AB, Republic of Korea
5. December 2002 - December 2005, Flight Commander, IP, SEFE 18th FS, Eielson AFB, Alaska
6. December 2005 - July 2008, Flight Commander, IP, SEFE, 13th FS, Misawa AB, Japan
7. July 2006 - December 2006, Student, USAF Weapons School, Nellis AFB, Nev.
8. January 2007 - December 2008, Squadron and Wing Weapons Officer, 35th FW, Misawa AB, Japan
9. December 2008 - July 2011, F-16 Instructor, USAF Weapons School, Nellis AFB, Nev.
10. July 2011 - June 2012, Student, College of Naval Command and Staff, Naval War College, Newport, R.I.
11. July 2012 - June 2013, Student, School of Advanced Air and Space Studies, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
12. October 2013 - May 2014, Director of Operations, 14th FS, Misawa Air Base, Japan
13. May 2014 - July 2016, Commander, 35th Operations Support Squadron, Misawa AB, Japan
14. April 2016 - July 2016, Fellow, Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, Arlington, Va.
15. July 2016 - June 2017, Student, Eisenhower School, National Defense University, Washington, D.C.
16. June 2017 - May 2018, Program Manager for Project Datahub, Global Operations (J39), Joint Staff, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
17. May 2018 - May 2019, Chief, Special Projects and Innovation Division, Global Operations (J39), Joint Staff, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
18. May 2019 – April 2020, Vice Commander, 8th FW, Kunsan AB, Republic of Korea
19. May 2020 – Present, Commander, 20th Fighter Wing, Shaw Air Force Base, South Carolina
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. June 2017 - May 2018, Program Manager for Project DATAHUB, Global Operations (J39), Joint Staff, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va. as a colonel
2. May 2018 - May 2019, Chief of Special Projects and Innovation Division, Global Operations (J39), Joint Staff, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va. as a colonel
Rating: command pilot
Flight hours: More than 2,000
Aircraft flown: T-37, T-38, AT-38, F-15D, F-15E, B-1B, EA-6B, MQ-9, RC-135, AH-1Z, F-16
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with oak leaf cluster
Afghanistan Campaign Medal
Iraq Campaign Medal
2006 Risner Trophy, 16th Weapons Squadron
2007 Clarence H. Mackay Trophy
2010 Cecil G. Foster Award as Outstanding Weapons School F-16 Instructor
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 1999
First Lieutenant June 2001
Captain June 2003
Major December 2008
Lieutenant Colonel November 2012
Colonel May 2018
(Current as of May 2020)