Chief Master Sergeant Frank H. Batten III is the Command Chief Master Sergeant, Ninth Air Force, Shaw Air Force Base, S.C. He advises the commander and staff on matters influencing the health, welfare, morale, and effective utilization of all assigned personnel. Ninth Air Force is comprised of eight active-duty wings and three direct reporting units with more than 400 aircraft and 29,000 active-duty and civilian personnel. Ninth Air Force is also responsible for the operational readiness of 16 Air Reserve Component wings.
Chief Batten entered the Air Force in May 1988. His background includes various duties in the Aircraft Structural Maintenance career field as well as serving as an assistant first sergeant, flight chief, and group superintendent.
Prior to his current position, Chief Batten was the Command Chief Master Sergeant of the 86th Airlift Wing, Ramstein Air Base, Germany. He has deployed in support of Operations Enduring Freedom, Iraqi Freedom, Desert Shield, Desert Storm and Uphold Democracy.
1988 Basic Military Training, Lackland AFB, Texas
1988 Corrosion Control Specialist Technical School, Sheppard AFB, Texas
1992 Airman Leadership School, Holloman AFB, N.M.
1999 Associate in Applied Science in Airframe Repair Technology, Community College of the Air Force
2001 Noncommissioned Officer Academy, McGuire AFB, N.J.
2006 Senior Noncommissioned Officer Academy, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2007 Senior Noncommissioned Officer Joint Professional Military Education Course, by correspondence
2009 Chief Master Sergeant Leadership Course, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2011 AFSO21 Executive Leadership Course, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, Tenn.
2011 Update on the Middle East Seminars, Alan L. Freed Associates, Washington, D.C.
2012 Update on the Middle East Seminars, Alan L. Freed Associates, Washington, D.C.
2012 USAF Enterprise Leadership Seminar, Darden School of Business, University of Virginia, Va.
2012 Professional Manager Certification, Community College of the Air Force
2012 Leadership Lowndes Program, Valdosta, Ga.
2013 Keystone Command Senior Leadership Course, National Defense University, Washington, D.C.
2013 Bachelor of Science, Management, Park University, Parkville, Mo.
1. September 1988 - March 1995, Aircraft Structural Maintenance Journeyman, 49th Materiel Maintenance Squadron, Holloman AFB, N.M.
2. March 1995 - July 2001, Aircraft Structural Maintenance Craftsman, 305th Maintenance Squadron, McGuire AFB, N.J.
3. July 2001 - April 2003, Aircraft Structural Maintenance Section Chief, 56th Equipment Maintenance Squadron, Luke AFB, Ariz.
4. April 2003 - February 2004, Assistant First Sergeant, 56th Equipment Maintenance Squadron, Luke AFB, Ariz.
5. February 2004 - May 2005, Aircraft Structural Maintenance Superintendent, 56th Equipment Maintenance Squadron, Luke AFB, Ariz.
6. May 2005 - July 2007, Fabrication Flight Chief, 56th Equipment Maintenance Squadron, Luke AFB, Ariz.
7. July 2007 - July 2008, Fabrication Flight Chief, 35th Maintenance Squadron, Misawa AB, Japan
8. July 2008 - June 2009, Quality Assurance Superintendent, 35th Maintenance Group, Misawa AB, Japan
9. January 2009 - May 2009, Quality Assurance Superintendent, 332d Expeditionary Maintenance Group, Joint Base Balad, Iraq
10. June 2009 - February 2011, Superintendent, 35th Operations Group, Misawa AB, Japan
11. September 2010 - January 2011, Superintendent, 451st Expeditionary Operations Group, Kandahar Airfield, Afghanistan
12. February 2011 - February 2013, Command Chief Master Sergeant, 23d Wing, Moody AFB, Ga.
13. March 2013 - March 2014, Command Chief Master Sergeant, 9th Air and Space Expeditionary Task Force-Afghanistan, Kabul, Afghanistan
14. May 2014 - May 2015, Command Chief Master Sergeant, 86th Airlift Wing, Ramstein AB, Germany
15. May 2015 - present, Command Chief Master Sergeant, Ninth Air Force, Shaw AFB, S.C.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Bronze Star Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with six oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Southwest Asia Service Medal
Afghanistan Campaign Medal
Iraq Campaign Medal
Meritorious Unit Award with one oak leaf cluster
AF Outstanding Unit Award with twelve oak leaf clusters
AF Organizational Excellence Award
1992 Distinguished Graduate, Airman Leadership School
2001 Distinguished Graduate, Noncommissioned Officer Academy
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Chief Master Sergeant October 2009
(Current as of June 2015)