SHAW AIR FORCE BASE, S.C. --
Military Saves Week, the annual saving campaign hosted by the 20th Force Support Squadron Airman and Family Readiness Center (A&FRC,) will kick off Feb. 22-27 for Team Shaw.
The Department of Defense partners with Military OneSource, Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA,) and America Saves to host the 2016 campaign for military personnel across the nation each year. The installation commander and other organizations come together to promote good savings behavior for all DOD personnel in collaboration with its federal and local partners.
Military Saves is an outstanding opportunity for all of us to stand tall and take control of our finances by:
1. Setting a goal
2. Making a Plan
3. Committing to save automatically
As a part of Military Saves Week, Team Shaw personnel are urged to take the "Savers Pledge" and participate in financial readiness workshops offered by the A&FRC.
"The 2016 Military Saves Week campaign is an opportunity for our military community to come together with federal and local resources to focus on the financial readiness of military members and their families," said James Landers, Military Saves director.
During the campaign, the A&FRC is asking military banks, credit unions, and non-profit organizations to be actively involved in the Shaw Military Saves campaign.
These new partnerships will focus on expanding and spreading the message of savings. It will also help strengthen all service members' personal financial awareness across the installation.
Our financial partners and DOD personnel are encouraged to register for Military Saves Week and take the "Savers Pledge" by visiting www.militarysaves.org/organizations/military-saves-week/sign-up-for-military-saves-week-2016
For each day of the savings campaign, the A&FRC will suggest steps, tips, goals and strategies for savings and encourage personnel to continue them throughout the year.
Feb. 22: Save for emergencies
How to do it: Find ways you can save, even on a tight budget. Consider saving a portion of your tax refund.
Feb. 23: Pay off high-interest debt
How to do it: Cut your spending so you can pay down your debts faster. Find places to trim your expenses.
Feb. 24: Save automatically
How to do it: Set up an allotment in MyPay. It can be hard to set aside money for savings. But there is an easy way to save money without ever missing it - make your saving automatic in 2016.
Feb. 25: Save for retirement
How to do it: Participate in the Thrift Savings Plan. Let the miracle of compound interest work for you.
Feb. 26: Save for a large purchase
Make a plan, save for a SMART Goal. How to do it: Participate in the savings deposit program while deployed.
Feb. 27: Keep saving year round
How to do it: Are you ready to set your savings goal and make a plan to achieve it? Take the Military Saves Pledge today.
After taking the savers pledge, we are asking everyone to post a pledge message on 20th FSS A&FRC Facebook
page. The Military Saves organization will track the number of pledges to identify the installations who are creating an environment that promotes a community to save.
Team Shaw Military Saves Week schedule of events:
· 10 - 11 a.m., Raising Financially savvy kids; Spratt Education Center, Room 130A
· 1- 2 p.m., Love Languages/Money; Spratt Education Center, Room 129A
· 2:30 - 4:30 p.m., Car Buying Seminar; Spratt Education Center, Room 129A
· 9 - 10 a.m., Improving and Understanding Credit/Building and Improving your Credit Score; Spratt Education Center, Room 129A
· 10:30 - 11:30 a.m., Couponing 101 Class; Spratt Education Center, Room 129A
· 8 - 10 a.m., SBA Franchising and Business Owning; Spratt Education Center Room, 129A
· 9 a.m. - 12 p.m., Home Buying Seminar; Carolina Skies Club, Dandelion Room
· 1 - 4 p.m., Home Buying and Selling/Financial Expo; Carolina Skies Club
· 10 - 11 a.m., Retirement and Investment Options; Spratt Education Center, Room 129A
· 1- 2 p.m., True Colors; Spratt Education Center, Room 129A
· 4 - 5 p.m., Military Financial Literacy for Youth; Youth Center Annex
· 10 - 11a.m., Thrift Saving Plan/Retirement Options (TSPs & IRAs); Education Center, Room 129A
· 9 a.m. - 12:00 p.m., Home Selling Seminar; Carolina Skies Club, Dandelion Room
· 1 - 4 p.m., Home Buying and Selling Financial Expo; Carolina Skies Club
· 1 - 2 p.m., What color is your money? Spratt Education Center, Room 129A
· 10 - 11 a.m., Fraud/Identity Theft (SC Better Business Bureau)
· 12:30 - 1:30 p.m., Stocks-n-Bonds (Steps to perform a trade online)