20th FW Legal office offers assistance

SHAW AIR FORCE BASE, S.C. -- The Shaw Air Force Base legal office is here to help and answer any questions regarding recent damages related to flooding on Shaw Air Force Base.  Residents in base housing or in the dormitories may be eligible to file a claim with the Air Force Claims Service Center (AFCSC at https://claims.jag.af.mil.)  This includes base privatized housing.
Residents who have renters, homeowners, or vehicle insurance, are required to file a claim with their private insurance company prior to filing with the government.  If the insurance policy does not cover the claimed damage, the amount claimed is less than the deductible, or the resident only has liability insurance on their vehicle, a claim may be filed with the government without first filing with an insurance company.

In the above situations, a copy of the insurance policy declaration page showing the damage is not covered must be provided, along with the deductible amount or liability declaration.  Although reimbursement of a deductible is not guaranteed, a claim may be filed for such reimbursement. 

For more information, visit the legal office at 803-895-1560.